Last Thursday evening as I sat in my "assigned" seat of our carlift (carpool), I was greeted with a sad statement. One of the my friends in the group said "Erik, magsasara na kami" (Erik, our company is closing). I was shocked and saddened. It was supposed to be the last day of the work week. And the weekend is going to be Valentines Day. Her voice was so small, so weak yet sends the message right through. There were a million thoughts that came to me when I heard her statement.
For the expat community working here now, that is a reality. Well, I cannot speak for all, but for me and most of my friends. Everyday we talk about the effect of the global crisis here. We hear people numbering in hundreds get redundant (that's how they say layoff here.) Families separated from each other at least geographically, due to unbearable budget costs, and a whole lot more. Rise of crime, scams and other stuff are more evident as well. Or maybe just highlighted because of the present situation.
However they were all news. Until i heard it first hand from someone saying "I Lost my Job". My other group of friends, the ex-Officemates from Cebu, they are struggling as well, but i think faired better. Congrats to Froilan, he is starting in his new job now.
One of the million things that came to me that day was, what if it was me? What if it was my girlfriend? Will things between us change? I might be guilty of being selfish, but yes, the story worried me more thinking "if it was me".
I told my friend, no matter what happened, it is still not the end of her career.
We saw her again this morning, as we were going to work. She said she cried all weekend.
February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment