February 16, 2009

Lazy Day

I feel very lazy today. Maybe someday my boss gets to see this post and he will realize that i have been doing nothing on the first day of his away trip. :))

I'm going to try to do some work a bit later. But for now, the flu, just has to be followed.

This is an image of my mug. An African Art "encrusted" mug. Trust me on the art, and sorry for having blurry photos, i just think blur is the new sharp. lolz

I bought this mug when started working here in this company.

Here's the story.

I work for a small-to-medium size real estate brokerage company. I flew here February 21 2007. If you can manage to look at a 2007 calendar, February 21 falls on a Wednesday. I still remember that first 4 days when I first came to this country. It was the first time i flew on a plane! Really. And it was 8 hours long. I can't sleep and I got restless. I only had around P300 on my wallet and $20 because i spent most of my pocket money on FEES from the Manila Airport.

My friend Jerus, who was the one who referred to me this job, picked me up at the airport. And so did my good friend Dwynn. I live in a small "resort" in Cebu so I dont find "seeing foreigners" something new. I also work with a lot of them from my previous company. And there are lots of Koreans in Cebu. So diversity in skin tones and manner of dressing up is not a strange thing. What was unfamiliar then though was a Toyota Camry as a taxi! LOL. I even remember one of my friends back in college bragging to me that his uncle owns a Toyota Camry which was considered a luxury car (i dont realy know and i have no time to research). Yes, and it was not the lone hi-luxury taxi i saw, there was a whole fleet of them Camrys. When I got inside, I was even awed that the taxi has an electronic meter and a GPS navigator as well. Ok so this must be nothing new for other more advanced cities, but for me, it was something like a city from a Popular Mechanics page popping up.

I spent my first 2 days fixing up my things, texting some people in the Phils, and hitting the beach. Before I came here, i was a son of a beach. I mean, it felt like the crashing waves call my name. So the beach has to be one item on the checklist of "places to live". But as time goes by it appears as elusive as a bottle of Tanduay Rhum. The rhum i so love to consume while walking the beaches of Cebu. But that's another story.

So Jerus and Arman played host, to me, a probinsyano in a new city. Jerus still had work that day Wednesday, and when he got back he told me that I am to start work Sunday next week. I was happy but felt odd. Why work on a Sunday? And to top that, why start on a Sunday?

Again, the details began to reveal itself as the days go by. Friday is the "no work day" here, and people usually start on Saturday or Sunday. Our company chose Sunday to Thursday as our work week, hence the term TITS. Thank *** Its Thursday, So.

Anyway, so Sunday, 25th of February, 2007 I officially started in this company. Notice how I came here on February 21, and started 25th of Feb? Yeah. Well it is a British thing i suppose. That "Dates" should come before "Months". Got me chap?

The mug. ok The mug.

The company was growing in number. New faces came to join us and the office space proved to be insufficient. That was when they asked me and our accountant (a guy) to occupy our extension office. I was happy-sad, that we were separated from the rest. Happy, that i dont get to hear those loud voices on the phones, and the phones ringing. Sad, that I dont get to mingle with my officemates. Hehehe

Our main office was nice. We had a pantry, refrigerator, microwave oven all the essentials. But on the extension office there was none. We had to buy our own water, as there was no dispenser. And we bought some paper plates, a can opener, and mugs.

I cannot quite believe it that a good 2 years after, my mug is still here with me. It is only for water. NO COFFEE!

4 comments: